Naps Table Update
Just one Saturday winner so far - El Gran Senor: well done.
If I've left anyone out, I apologise; please leave a message on this thread and I'll update.
A remarkable National winner who hadn't jumped a fence in public until October. That was just his 8th steeplechase. Might turn out a very decent horse rather than a one-off outsider winning the big one.
Peacocks secret won at 6/1
Farouk de Cheneau 16/1 EW Nap 2nd
Midnight Callisto 3.30S
Verhoyen. Curragh, 4.12.
Loom Large in the 16:45 at the Curragh (or is it The Curragh?)
Deans Road. Stratford 5.10
Young claimer up. No idea if a dental trainee
Nap Curragh 1.45 - Forceful Speed
Farouk de Cheneau 13:30 Wincanton EW Nap
All that effort I put into deciding where I was lumping money on in the National for a small profit which paled compared to SWMBO having me put her fiver each way on Noble Yeats. Got 66s. She is very happy though not so much with me. She will remind me about this. I'm going to call it Cornsay Syndrome.
Nap Tramore 1557 Mr Incredible
who may be a decent price as he declined to put a hoof forward last time.
Hightimeyouwon - 16.12 Curragh
Carolines Charm - 14.05 Wincanton (nap).
If SW-C is a dentist then Jeff Bezos is a guy who delivers parcels.
The Guardian has wheeled out its chief sports reporter Sean Ingle to do a piece today which is largely a celebration of Waley-Cohen and the "fairytale" ending, (though he points out a horse died and another was put down on the day).
Another way of looking at it is that Waley-Cohen won by breaking the whip regulation rules. The penalty is even more ridiculous given that he has retired: an 8 day suspension. The Guardian closed its discussion swiftly after about eight negative comments one of which used the word cheating. They might all be moderated by now, for all I know.
It has been argued many times that unless the penalty for over use of the whip, or indeed the breach of other regulations is much more penal, then they will continue to be ignored. As far as I know (and I don't know much) races are never taken away from the winner by improper use of the whip.
If it is truly a sport, then the rules of the sport must have clout and the participants must observe the letter and the spirit of them.
Should amateur jockeys should be allowed to compete in the overwhelmingly professional sport. Is it just a rich person's self indulgence? Of course, "Sam" Waley-Cohen is a multi-millionaire owning a string of dental practices, Portman Dental Care, (he is called a "dentist" by tabloids). “It keeps me out of trouble,” he said. He could whip with impunity, as his career would never be on the line.
No, I don't think the "magic" of the Grand National has been enhanced. :-)
Hopefully dale peters can keep up his impressive recent 43% strike rate at Stratford, so Peacock's secret is nap (17:10). NB would be for langy (15:50)
NAP Old Chap 2.47 Tranmore
My (belated) new years resolutions for next year's Grand National, when taking advantage of Bet 365's offer of half money back up to £250 stakes
* Back 5 of the favourites (odds <20/1) at 20 e/w and 5 horses (outsiders >20/1 odds) at 5/e/w
* Don't back horses with jockeys that haven't completed a round over the GN fences over at least 3 miles
* Back outsiders who have won / placed in graded races since the start of the year * Clarify a horse's stamina - horses need to have completed over at least 3 miles (and won or placed)
* Back the winner of the XC chase if entered, even if heavy at Cheltenham
* Back horses that have won or placed in graded races in the calendar year
* Don't back horses that have fallen / pulled up at least twice in the season
* Only back (well handicapped) horses 11 stone or less, if conditions are soft or heavy
* Don't get caught up by hype / media stories
* Prefer Irish to British horses, if undecided
* Appreciate that even these resolutions wouldn't have selected Noble Yeats!
Welcome any other resolutions that might help pick at least a placeholder next year!
Some interesting bred Horses in the 16.45. maiden at the Curragh.
I am napping Waterville who is a Camelot half Brother to Sea of Class.